Easy Peasy Scones with Dark Chocolate Chips
After Isaac was born, I took a batch of these scones to the doctors and nurses who did all my prenatal care. But I give my friend Tara the credit for sharing this recipe. I have tried other scone recipes, but this is the simplest by far. It is no fail.
Yield: 24 scones
3¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups (12-oz) package dark chocolate chips
2 cups chilled heavy cream
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
2. Stir together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Stir whipping cream into flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are moistened.
4. Turn mixture out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently until soft dough forms (about 2 minutes). Divide dough into three equal balls. One ball at a time, flatten into 7-inch circle; cut into 8 triangles. Transfer triangles to prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with additional sugar.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar, if desired.
Ashley variation: Grate orange zest into the flour mixture. After scones are baked and cooled, mix together orange juice and powdered sugar to desired consistency. Glaze scones for orange dark chocolate chip scones.